Support for Carers

We know accessing supports and services can be a minefield for Carers. There are many organisations both at local and national levels where you can find the supports or services that you may be eligible for.

Anyone can become a Carer at any time in their life. Carers are often faced with lots of issues. Carers in South Lanarkshire will be able to access a wide variety of support, information and advice with or without having an Adult Carer Support Plan or Young Persons Statement.

Find out what local and national organisations can offer you supports and services.

Every year over 160,000 people in Scotland become Carers, looking after family or friends who are older, disabled or seriously ill.

Access to welfare rights

A dedicated Money Advice Team help Carers assess their financial situation. They can help you to undertake a benefits review to ensure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to. South lanarkshire has dedicated Carer Welfare Rights workers.

0303 123 1008

Money Matters Advice Service – Cambuslang and Rutherglen

Money Matters Advice Service – East Kilbride

Money Matters Advice Service – Hamilton

Money Matters Advice Service – Lanark

Money Matters Advice Service – Larkhall

There are other agencies and organisations that can help yu with lots of aspects of managing yur finances. Have a look at our Finance Page to see all the information we gather to help you get the latest information.

Last year the Welfare Rights team helped to get Carers the benefits they were entitiled to:

Access to leisure services

Your can access sports and leisure services from a wide range of services in South Lanarkshire, here are some of them. Ask us to signpost you

South Lanarkshire Leisure and culture
Physical activity prescription — Residents of South Lanarkshire who would benefit from being more active can be referred by their GP, physio or health professional to this programme.

Seniors Together
Forward @ 50 / Activage / Activities and Resources for older men

Healthy Valleys
They develop various projects

Community Links
They develop various projects
Click here to go to the Community Links website for full details 

Lanarkshire Carers Centre
You can access South Lanarkshire Leisure at a discounted rate by contacting LCC, they also offer a range of activities.

The Men’s Shed
Community and health self and group determined activities. Static and a moving service which drops into localities.

Age UK
lunch clubs across South Lanarkshire

Transport Information

Disabled and elderly residents can apply for a National Travel Card.
National Entitlement Card holders can travel on all local bus and scheduled long distance coach services throughout Scotland for free at any time of day and for any number of journeys.

In some instances the person you care for may be eligible for the Plus 1 on their concessionary card. You can travel without the card holder.

Lanarkshire Cancer Care Trust
LCCT offers patients and their Carers living in the NHS Lanarkshire area free transport to hospital, specialist clinics, day care etc. This service is for cancer sufferers and their families

Red Cross Volunteer service
The Red Cross offer help for Carers through their volunteer service


Advocacy is an activity by an individual which aims to influence decisions. Advocacy will

Make sure Carers voices are heard and their needs and opinions listened to
Ensure Carers have as much control as they want of decisions which affect them and the cared for person lives
Access resources and information appropriate to them

This service can help to safeguard your rights, allow you to access information and ensure your voice is heard. There are Advocacy services available for Carers.

Speak Out Advocacy Project

Speak Out Advocacy Project provides an advocacy service for individuals with learning disabilities. Our aim is to assist people to have more say in the services they receive and to obtain information in order to be able to make choices. We also assist people with raising issues which concern them, in order that these can be properly addressed. Speak Out also has access to channels to raise more general issues regarding Learning Disability Services.
01698 283228

The Advocacy Project

The Advocacy Project is a human rights based organisation that supports people to have their voices heard and be empowered to be involved in decisions that affect their lives. Their issue-based advocacy services are free and confidential and we are independent of social work, NHS and other agencies.

The Advocacy Project has drop in sessions based in our offices, find out more by asking us or the service direct.

0141 420 0961

Drug and Alcohol Services

Blameless supports:  Third Party Affected: Family member or friend who has stepped in to fill the void of the parent (as one of their primary groups)
01698 368 650

South Lanarkshire Council
If you need help with a drug or alcohol problem or are worried about someone with problems with drugs or alcohol
0303 123 1008

Free and confidential support to families affected by drugs and alcohol
01698 533843

Community Addiction Recovery Service (CAReS)
01698 368711

Day opportunities for adults

There are a range of activities that the person you care for can choose which include sport, exercise, arts and crafts, support and education

People who have become isolated socially can enjoy the company and activities on offer. They are designed to:

  • Keep people active, involved and stimulated
  • Provide a nutritious lunch
  • Help reduce loneliness and isolation
  • Provide a break for Carers

You can access the brochures here:

You can look at the Day centers through this link

You can request a non-urgent assessment

If your request is urgent and outwith office hours or on a public holiday, you can contact Emergency Social Work Service on 0303 123 1008.

Emotional support

If you need support to manage aspects of your caring role, you can access counselling through a local organisation that can help you. Here are some of the supports you can access. You can call us and we are happy to signpost you to one or another we may know about, we have relationships with many different services across South Lanarkshire

Counselling services

Speak to your GP

Petal Support
01698 324502

Victim Support
0345 603 9213

Relationships Scotland
0345 119 2020

The Samaritans
116 123

Bereavement Services

We all experience a bereavement at some time in our life, our lives are often never the same again.

Sometimes those feeling can be overwhelming, despair, guilt, sadness, loneliness can totally engulf us. Using a bereavement service may help us work through all those feelings and learn to live with our loss.

Bereavement services can help you through a difficult time, they listen without judgment and can support you and help you to cope.

You can use services, although some are condition specific with:

0845 600 2227

Your GP Service

Kilbride Hospice
01355 202020

St Andrews Hospice
01236 766951

The Haven
01698 727884

Maggies Lanarkshire
Tel: 01236 771199

Community Cafes

There are many drop-in cafes where you can go along meet like-minded people, have a blether, relax and often meet different professionals who attend the various cafes:

Alzheimers Scotland – Dementia Cafes
Hamilton Accies – ASN and Community Cafes

Look in the Information Section to find out the current dates of the cafes in South Lanarkshire

Short breaks or respite care

These are provided to enhance the quality of life of both the Carer and the person they care for. Short breaks can give you time out to focus on yourself.

You can access these services through your local Carers Centre or the Local Authority depending on your eligible needs being met.

Training or learning

A course can help Carers gain new confidence and develop skills to manage their health and wellbeing whilst they are a Carer, for volunteering or moving on from caring.

Across South Lanarkshire many partner organisations offer ad hoc course and social activities – look out on our Information page or our FB site to see what is on in the area for you

Lanarkshire Carers Centre offer a variety of courses specifically for Carers. their program changes all the time, go to their website to see what course are currently available.


Open Learning – Caring for adults

Caring Counts

Future Learn
Dementia Care: Staying Connected and Living Well

Open Learn – Foundations for self-directed support in Scotland

South Lanarkshire Young Carers Service

Anyone can make a request for assistance to South Lanarkshire Young Carers Service.

If you are a Young Carer you can contact the service or you can ask someone you trust such as your social worker, pupil support teacher, head teacher or a family member.

You can contact them:

Phone: 01698 455455 / 01698 453310
Mobile: 07795455220

Covey Befriending

Universal connections

Young Scot

Information and advice services

You can get a wealth of useful knowledge that will allow you to understand your rights, get local supports and services and become empowered. Carers meetings, campaigning, newsletters, web pages as well as information stands, fayres and social media all help Carers know their rights and find the right information to support and empower them.

Go onto our Information page and you will see all the latest information we gather. Click on all the different organisations to find loads of different topics and areas of interest.

We know sometimes getting what you need can be a minefield – You can, of course, call us and talk to one of the team to get information, signposting and referred to the agencies you need.

Ask us……

Adult Support and Protection

Everyone has the right to live their life safe from harm. The Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007 is there to protect adults who are unable to protect themselves, their property or their rights. The law defines adults at risk who are:

  • Unable to safeguard their rights, wellbeing, property or other interests; and
  • Are at risk of harm; and
  • Are affected by a disability, mental disorder, illness or physical or mental  infirmity

What is harm and what can you do if you suspect someone is being harmed?

Harm can be caused by another person’s conduct or by the adult themselves. The Act covers all types of harm including: financial, physical,
neglect, sexual, psychological/emotional and self-harm. This list is not exhaustive.

We all have a responsibility to be vigilant to ensure the wellbeing and safety of adults who may require support. You should never ignore any suspicion that an adult is being harmed. You should listen to what is said, observe what is happening and write down exactly what you see and hear. Tell the adult at risk what you will do next and report what you have seen and heard to Social Work Resources. If the person is at immediate risk you should contact the Police. A Social Worker will investigate the Adult’s circumstances whilst balancing their right to choose how to live their life.

For further information, you can contact Social Work Resources on 0303 123 1008

There is an Adult Support and Protection Committee website, which also contains information in relation to this Act and keeping people safe:

Your Content Goes Here

Home Adaptations

You can apply for pieces of equipment and adaptations to a property you already live in, for non-urgent applications:

Community Alarms and Telecare

Telecare is a range of devices and services that help older and vulnerable people stay in their own homes independently and safely rather than having to move into care.

Examples include devices that trigger a response from a call centre, including falls monitors, motion sensors, smoke and gas detectors.

It allows people to call for help at any time day or night, on any day of the year.  By activating the alarm when assistance is required, this sends a call to the centralised control centre.

An operator can respond to the call in a variety of ways:

  • Provide reassurance
  • Arrange for an alert responder to attend the home
  • Contact a key holder who will have access to the home or can release keys
  • Contact the doctor, the ambulance service, police or fire and rescue services
  • Telecare devices are linked to the Community Alarm System which operates via a BT telephone line.

A call centre response operates 24 hours a day.

A small charge is made for the service, if you think the person you care for would benefit, contact your local social work office and ask about the service.

GP Carers Register

Each GP practice in South Lanarkshire has a Carers Register.

Staff at your health centre or surgery support Carers by registering them ensuring Carers health needs can be more effectively recognised.

When Carers join the register they will be signposted to a Carer organisation that can support them. Your surgery will offer benefits to Carers such as flu jabs and more flexible appointments

Register with your GP, keep up to date with information and services that can support you.

Emergency Planning

An emergency plan sets out all the practical arrangements for short term unplanned circumstances when the Carer is unable to fulfill their caring role. It is a written document which lets people know what needs to be done to support the person you care for.

All the information you store in your head about the person you care for is written down so it can be shared if necessary.

It is a good idea to involve your friends or family about the caring role and how they could help out if needed. Ask the person you care for what they want to happen if you have an emergency.

Write down all the details of the care and support you provide, all your contacts, medication, health needs and think about who will hold the copy of your plan

You can create an emergency plan for the needs of the person you care for by downloading a booklet from ENABLE on our Information page or contact your local Social Work office or Carers centre.

Anticipatory Care Plan

This is all about the person you care for having the chance to chat about the kind of care they want. You can get this service from your GP or community nurse, the person you care for may feel awkward discussing it with you their Carer.

Services in and around the home

Leap Projects

Leap offers a range of services with an on Project Handyperson Service

Volunteers can assist older and disabled people by carrying out a range of small repair jobs to help them to remain safe in their home. Jobs include changing lightbulbs, changing curtains, fitting curtain poles/rails, flat packed furniture, turning mattresses, cleaning inside windows and cupboards, installing doorbells… and much much more!

Laundry service

to be added
Care and Repair in South Lanarkshire is an independent charity which provides information, advice and practical assistance to help older or disabled home owners and tenants of private landlords repair, maintain, improve or adapt their home.

Adult Carer Support Plans

An assessment can help Carers think about what supports they may need. The plan will help you work out what level of support you have a right to.

You can access these services through your local Carers Centre or the Local Authority depending on your eligible needs being met.

Click here for more information about Adult Carer Support Plans

A Young Carers Statement

This will help you think about what support you may need if you wish to continue caring and have a life similar to that of other young people. The child’s plan contained within the Young Carers Statement will set out any needs you have and how those will be met.

The plan helps decide what level you reach in the local eligibility criteria (the set of rules used) for support. The plan will help work out what level of support you have a right to.

Young Carers Service
01698 455455

Click here for more information about A Young Carers Statement

Does the person you care for need assessed?

A care assessment gathers lots of information about the person you care for’s wishes, needs and risks. It considers the best way they can be supported to live as best they can and achieve their own goals and outcomes. The assessment will find out what is important to the person you care for and what they are trying to achieve.

The assessment will help decide what supports are needed and then the person you care for can make an informed choice that is best for them. Types of supports may be.

home care, personal care, day care, short breaks, laundry service, meals, telecare, occupational therapy, residential care etc.

Carers should be involved in the assessment and their views and opinions must be taken into account.